Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Evaluate 3.1.2


I love being an online teacher. I taught in the brick and mortar for 4.5 years in Georgia. Upon relocating to Florida I finished up my 5th year in one of the largest school systems in the United States-Hillsborough County (Tampa). I worked under the pay for performance system and was apart of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation program. During that time I received top tier bonus for my AP US History, AP Government & Politics, and AP Comparative Government courses. I then left that position and took an online virtual school position, which I loved, for almost two years. Unfortunately living in the state was a requirement of the position and when my husband relocated us back to Georgia I had to resign.

I previously did the GAVS training (pre-blog format in Spring 2011), but was not able to complete the teaching portion of the training due to excepting the online position in Florida (they considered it a conflict of interest). I am extremely excited to have the opportunity to continue in virtual education, what I consider the forefront of education.

During my two years in Florida I earned over 160 professional development hours. The online setting provides a lot of training and growth for development. I have been through a 30 hour Common Core training, 60 hour ESOL training, along with various virtual related professional development courses. As a virtual educator I was a top performer on our quota system. Each year we had a certain number of students who must successfully finish the course. I met quota early and exceeded it. My classroom management skills were loved by my lead instructors. My non workers were to a minimum. I used skills of email, text, and phone calls to have constant communication between parents, students, and stakeholders. I can produce records of these evaluations if necessary. I love teaching online and with my experience I hope to be able to provide knowledge and insight to help GAVS continue to grow and become a dominant virtual education force in the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment